Saturday, December 5, 2020

Tracking Ancestors with City Directory Spreadsheet


If you have been reading the blog, you know that I love spreadsheets. Using them has helped me organize information. And best of all, answer questions.

A research problem has been our Gaphardt/Gephardt surname. At times, my ancestors used one or both of these spellings. Trying to determine relationships has been overwhelming. That is when I began using city directory research spreadsheets. 


This is the template I created. Named with directory title and date range. Added title of each individual directory. Now I can copy for each surname I wish to research.

Located the Digitized Baltimore City Directories on University of Maryland website. These are digitized from Internet Archive. Also, available on Ancestry.com. I find these directories easier to negotiate. Also, placed a link to the website, ensuring I have exact location the information was obtained.


Here is the first entry for my 2nd great-grandfather, George C. Gaphardt. Another surname spelling! Gephart  is now added to the growing list.


By 1871, we see my 2nd great-uncle, John C. Gaphardt appear in the directory. Verifying address for the family. My 2nd great-grandfather is listed as Gaphardt and Gephardt! No wonder I'm having such difficulty with this ancestral line.

Adding subsequent directory information, we discover the family relocating many times. Also, tracked their movements during gap created by the loss of the 1890 United States Federal Census. During this time span, the family relocated three times. Several of the addresses have previously been unknown. I will be searching the Maryland Land Records website for possible deeds. These may have important clues.


By 1901, my line settles on Gaphardt. In each succeeding record, they use that surname. But, we still see the Gephardt surname. This spreadsheet has given me a place to gather facts, and hopefully, discover relationships. I know from DNA matches, both of these surnames are indeed related.


With the directories, I made a fun discovery. How my 2nd great-grandmother met her second husband. 

According to the directories, by 1860 the Judd family was residing at 20 Walker. The last entry for them and this address being 1882.

Looking at the 1868-1869 city directory we see:

  • Henry Horn - tailor - 11 Walker (future 2nd husband of Elizabeth Judd Wakefield)
  • Philomena Judd - tailoress - 20 Walker (2nd wife and widow of 3rd great-grandfather Mathias Judd, step-mother of Elizabeth Judd Wakefield Horn)
  • Henry Wakefield - tailor  - 290 s Ann (2nd great-grandfather, 1st husband of Elizabeth Judd)

This is the last record we found for Henry Wakefield. I believe he passed away somewhere between 1869 and when Elizabeth remarries. The hunt continues!

By 1870 United States Federal Census [1], Elizabeth is residing with Phillipina Judt. Along with her young son, back to the family home.

On October 27, 1872 [2], Elizabeth weds neighbor, Henry Horn. The young widow and little boy, begin a new life. With the widower and his two small daughters. The couple would go on to have seven children. A combined total of ten children.

By the way, did you catch they were all in the tailoring business? Another connection revealed by the directories. 

Love when stories come alive using the records.

Here are a few links about using city directories in family history research:

City Directories for Genealogy When There's Been a Loss of Vital Records by Amie Bowser Tennant on The Genealogy Reporter


How to Use City Directories in Your Genealogy Research by Lisa Lisson of Are You My Cousin?


______________

Sources 

[1] 1870 U.S. census, Baltimore City, Maryland, population schedule, Baltimore Ward 6, page 224 (penned), dwelling/family 1859, Phillipina Judt household; digital image, Ancestry.com (https://ancestry.com : accessed 04 December 2020); imaged from NARA microfilm 552073, roll M593_574

[2] Henry Horn entry, Baltimore City Court of Common Pleas, marriage index (marriage index, male), 1851-1885, CM205, reel CR 1672; Maryland State Archives

No comments:

Post a Comment