Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Found Amelia Earhart!

NASA on The Commons
No known copyright restrictions
 
So, did I get your attention with that title? Think we found the most famous missing woman? Actually, I found Amelia in my husband's family tree.

Last week Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings posted "Lucille Ball is My 7th Cousin Twice Removed". He discovered Lucy in his family tree with FamilySearch Famous Relatives.

FamilySearch Famous Relatives  

I tried the search for my tree, nothing. Wasn't surprised, since most of these ancestors are fairly recent immigrants.  Many lines don't go back further than my great-grandparents. The tree is not filled out enough to connect with "famous relatives".
 
Then we search hubby's tree. ALL his lines have been in the United States since the late 1600s. So, figured we would have a few interesting relationships. And he did! Twenty seven presidents, eleven inventors and scientists, twenty entertainers and artists, seven trailblazers and two athletes. Quite an array of notables.

Most of the "predicted relationships" go back quite far. Many I haven't fully documented. But, there is one I can verify. Amelia Earhart. She and Doug are 5th cousins once removed. The common ancestral couple being Johann Jacob Altman and Anna Maria Eisenmann. 

This was a fun discovery. Even hubby was impressed. Family history to share with the granddaughters. Now when reading a story about Amelia, they will know they share the same DNA. 

Check out the site. Hopefully, you are like my husband, with a nice fully documented tree. You may discover famous relatives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment