Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Time of Their Lives ~ Using Timelines


During the course of daily blog reading, discovered a post about using timelines.  The post is "Use A Genealogy Timeline To Find Gaps In Your Research" by Lisa Lisson of Are You My Cousin?

Lisa talks about using timelines to discover holes in your research. I'm sure this will become evident with my Eastern European ancestors. Having a document to refer, while trying to move lines forward. Do I have birth, marriage, death and census information? Vital records needed to fill the holes.

A comment from the post that struck a chord:

"one of the best things I ever did for my genealogy research was to organize my genealogy information - the events of my ancestor's lives - on a timeline."

This spoke to my organizational soul. Also, being a visual learner, information laid out in a logical manner.  

In the post, Lisa shows several ways to create a timeline. From using good old pen and paper, to spreadsheets. I love spreadsheets! This method had me hooked. 

Lisa shares a spreadsheet template. I saved this to my Google Drive. Keeping a blank form, copying tabs for each individual ancestor. I love the idea of having all the information in one place. And, using a dynamic document, that I can change and update. 

There is a nice feature to drop in a photograph. Makes the process a little more personal. Using Google Drive, we can add hyperlinks to the document.  And, other researchers can access the information. This could become a family project. Or a teaching tool.  

Timeline for Rev. C.W. Ruth, husband's grandfather

Here we have Christian Wismer Ruth. He was born September 01, 1865 in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. He died May 27, 1941 in Jessamine County, Kentucky. Because Christian had a very long and interesting life, I selected him for my first timeline. 

I found it interesting to see Christian's life laid out. Discovering where and when he was located, during various events. His age when married, when each child was born and the families move across the country.

By adding historical events, we gain a broader perspective. Did they affect decisions Christian made for him and his family? Did these decisions affect the life you are now living? Food for thought.

So, check out the post. And track the times of your ancestors' lives.

Lisa shares several websites to gather historical information. I discovered additional sites while working on the timeline.

America's Best History

BrainyHistory

On This Day

The People History

Timelines of History

6 comments:

  1. Thanks! I need to start doing this. I have one ancestor that moved a lot. Putting that in a historical context could help explain why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, thanks for reading the post and leaving a comment. I agree, putting out ancestors in context can help understand not only their lives, but hopefully, complete their story.

      Delete
  2. Although I use Word, the idea of creating a timeline is very useful. At a glance it's easy to see gaps and see how family history fit with local/national/world history. Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marian, thank you for reading the post and leaving a comment. Being a very visual person, these timelines are helpful. Finding the gaps, just might help me knock down a few walls!

      Delete
  3. I have tried many timelines...may give this one a go as well. I know it's better than relying on the ones my family history software can produce as it forces me to analyze as I enter the information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tess, thank you for reading the post and leaving a comment. I had tried timelines years ago, but I really love this method with the spreadsheet. Laying it all out, I can see the gaps.

      Delete