Thursday, October 22, 2020

Social Media ~ Family Historian's Friend

Rev. William Huff, Rev. H.C. Maitland, Rev. C.W. Ruth 
1912, Red Rock Park St. Paul, Minnesota


I have been an early adopter of all things social media. Facebook for keeping up with family and friends. Recipes, local events and genealogy news. Instagram for photographs, past and present. Twitter for rapid fire genealogy conversation and new blogs.

Had been posting tons of genealogy on my personal Facebook page. Soon realized not everyone shared my enthusiasm, and didn't want to read all this information. So, created "Deb's Adventures In Genealogy Facebook Page". There I posted all the wonderful news, blogs and fun discoveries. 

A favorite subject to discuss is my husband's grandfather, Rev. C.W. Ruth. Christian was one of the founding fathers of the Church of the Nazarene. In his earlier years, he was an evangelist for the Holiness Christian Church.

One day last summer, I received a message. My new best friend, Michelle, found the page with a Google search. She introduced herself and we proceeded to chat about my husband's connection to Christian.

Michelle is a member of the Red Rock Camp Fellowship in Minnesota. One of the many places Christian visited during his years as a circuit preacher. During our conversation, she shared a series of photographs we had never seen. Genealogy happy dance! In fact, I actually screamed.

So friends, share your family stories and photographs. Never know who is searching.  A new cousin or genealogy angel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment