Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Bible Tells Me So ~ Charles Judd Revealed

This family treasure came from a special Ancestry Cousin. Little did I know reaching out to a fellow genealogist would uncover such a gem.

I have been communicating with Dee about the Judd family line. In particular, Charles Judd. Charles was my 3rd great-uncle. He was born October 5, 1843 in Germany. He died May 6, 1888 in Sherman, Texas.

Dee sent an email with various photographs. She thought several were related to Charles Judd. There were four photographs in all, two of a gentleman in Civil War uniform, and two a Bible with inscription. The photograph of the Civil War soldier did have "Charles Judd" on the back. Gathering clues, I was able to prove this was our family's ancestor.

"This is the property of Charles Judd if anybody find this and I am dead please notify my Parents of it at No 20 Walker Street Baltimore MD"

"Charles Judd No 20 Walker Srt Baltimore"

"My Father Mathius Judd No. 20 Walker Str Baltimore Md"

In the Bible, Charles Judd gives father's name as Mathius Judd. Address to contact his parents 20 Walker str.

Mathias Judd was my 3rd great grandfather. Maryland, City Directory, 1865 has the family residing at 20 Walker Street. Eureka!

Right away, I sent an email to Dee with this discovery. She responded with "Hello cousin, let's have some genealogy fun!"

Now Dee (still trying figure out exact relation) and I are communicating about shared heritage. She kids about names for our new family team. She suggested "purveyors of the past", "missing linkers" or, "tree branchers". Love her sense of humor.

How fortunate to discover a family connection willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment