Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I Am My Father's Daughter!

 
Glancing at the pile of books next to my computer a random thought popped into my brain. Goodness, I really am Paul's daughter! Seems an odd statement just looking at reading material, right?
 
Not after I gave it a few moments thought.
 
My father was a voracious reader, a trait his children inherited. Since I can remember, Dad only read non-fiction books. Biography and history were top of the list.
 
These books did not have to be the latest best-seller or hottest title. Any bookstore sale shelf or yard sale discount bin would fill the ticket.
 
This was all part of Dad trying to expose his children to history. Sometimes he may have been exasperated when we did not share his great enthusiasm. Especially when we were "know-it-all" teenagers! History? How lame!
 
I think he would be tickled to see how his influence has finally come home to roost! He would love my stash of reading material. Guess what? It is all non-fiction!
 
I am now following in his footsteps. Where is my habit of selecting a nice fiction book? When did this transition occur? Was this a natural progression of growing older?
 
No matter the when or why. This experience brought Dad back in full Technicolor. I can here him say "I told you so!"
 
Yes indeed, I am Paul's daughter.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to realize that we are the people our parents wanted us to be? Great post!

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      So very true! Certainly felt the connection while writing the post. Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely memory of your father - this is very sweet! We're influenced more than we think, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celia,

    Funny how the lessons and patterns of our youth show themselves as we get older! This was such a lovely moment. Only wish Dad was here to enjoy the discovery.

    ReplyDelete