Monday, January 7, 2013

Great Baltimore Fire of 1904


Courtesy Fireproof Magazine, Volumes 3-4, published July 1903
The Great Baltimore Fire- shaded blocks show extent of fire zone.

Recently I realized all four of my grandparents resided in Baltimore City during the Great Fire of 1904. Their ages during this event ranged from four to six years.

When I was young we learned about the fire in our school books. At the time it was just an interesting historical event. Now I can not imagine the abject terror they were feeling as the city blazed several blocks from their homes.

Interesting piece of family history being we have many fire-fighters on the Wakefield side. Makes me wonder if events that occurred that day influenced them to choose that occupation.

If only I had started this research before I lost both sets of grandparents! Just imagine the first hand stories we would have as part of our family history. Get those oral histories before it is too late!
 
Here are several excellent resources I discovered while researching the Great Fire of 1904:

A map explaining the destruction of the fire can be found one the Enoch Pratt Free Library website. It is an interactive exhibit "which shows how the fire spread, and includes images and film footage.

Aftermath of the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 at the Enoch Pratt Free Library

To read more about the aftermath here is a link to the Baltimore Sun's coverage.

General information:

Disasters: Natural and Man-Made from Cyndi's List

GenDisasters

3 comments:

  1. Hi Deb, Your blog is beautiful! I found it when I was searching for genealogy blogs. I have a question about the labels that you have; locations, resources, surnames and misc. I was able to add one label that I named surnames and it works fine but I want to add more such as locations, etc. However, when I try to do that my labels are not going to the correct category. All my labels go to all my categories. Any Advice???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roberta,

      Thank you so much for the compliment. I have been enjoying the entire process of blogging. As to the labels, ever since the upgrade to Blogger that function has been odd. I have been having the same difficulty! Seems they jump all over when I try to place them in categories. I have been looking for forums with answers to that question. When I locate something will share the information. By the way, love YOUR blog!

      Delete
    2. Hello Deb,

      Thank you for your response and for saying that you love my blog. I am enjoying your blog as well. I am fairly new at blogging. I had a college course and building a blog was one of the requirements. However, since then I was in a car accident and I have long-term and short-term memory loss. Researching my genealogy and building and maintaining the blog is a sort of therapy for my cognitive skills. I have also been looking at forums and trying to figure out how to have more than one label category. I will also share with you when I find out the information. I also plan on following your blog. I think it is great!!!

      Delete