Wednesday, November 2, 2011

NaBloPoMo - What Would Your Last Meal Be?

Son presenting Mother's Day gift during trip to Ocean City, Maryland

Today's National Blog Posting Month prompt over at NaBloPoMo BlogHer is:

"If you knew that whatever you ate next would be your last meal, what would you want it to be"

This summer I wrote a similar post for the Carnival of Genealogy about food memories (just not the last meal part).

Being born and bred in Maryland seafood has always been more than just a food group. My earliest memories as a child revolve around Maryland blue crabs, shrimp, mussels and oysters.

Each Saturday in the summer my Dad and his brother's would head out to the bay for a day of crabbing. Grandmom would have the pots steaming for the bounty to arrive.

Picnic tables were set with crab mallets and Old Bay. In the middle would be bowls filled with coleslaw and potato salad. At each end plates of fresh corn on the cob and my Mom's world-famous deviled eggs.

Closing my eyes I can smell those glorious scents! It should come as no surprise what's this Maryland girl would request, Hon!

Maryland Lump Crab Cake
Cole Slaw
Silver Queen sweet corn on the cob
Mom's amazing deviled eggs
Fresh brewed iced tea

What would be your last meal?

3 comments:

  1. The one you describe sounds good as a last meal to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Deb! My mom's crabcakes and potato salad are heavenly, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great question!

    Mine would be pancakes, scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon, and a glass of chocolate milk.

    ReplyDelete