Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Heirloom Turkey


Since my father passed away last year we have begun a new Thanksgiving tradition. Our children come for brunch then my husband and I travel to Mom's house for dinner.

The change has been a little difficult, but sometimes we must start new traditions. The fact I spend more time with my mother and siblings makes the holiday even more precious.

This morning while unpacking the Thanksgiving tablecloth I discovered a "family treasure" in the bottom of the box. There I found these carefully wrapped ceramic turkey candle holders. And all at once my heart lighten.

Many years ago our son was in the United States Marine Corps. Right before the holidays he was assigned to Okinawa, Japan. This would be the first time he was not home for Thanksgiving.

To keep depression at bay my husband would come up with one outing after another. Even though we needed nothing to decorate the house he insisted we go shopping.

As we negotiated a crowded store Doug suddenly disappeared. Several minutes later he showed up with a huge smile on his face and these turkeys in his hands. Thinking he wanted them for our home I reminded him we had more than enough decorations.

Truth be told I could not understand his excitement. Then he told me he wanted to send them to Justin. Doug thought they would be a fun reminder for our Marine missing his family.

So off I went the next day to mail a care package filled with snacks, magazines and two turkeys.

When Justin called Thanksgiving morning the first words out of his mouth were "thanks for the turkeys!" Seems he and his fellow Marines thought they were a hoot and placed them on their holiday table.

I was in for a big surprise when Justin returned home from service. While unpacking he handed me a box. There he stood with the same smile seen on his father's face years before.

Looking down I found the ceramic turkeys carefully wrapped to survive a journey across the world. I honestly had forgotten about them and never expected to see them again.

When asking Justin why he saved them he replied "they are Ruth family turkeys and must be saved". So that was that!

And that my friends is the story of our ceramic turkey heirloom candle holders.

2 comments:

  1. I just love this story. How special these turkeys are for you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn,

    Thanks for the lovely comment. Isn't it funny how an item so mundane can come to become so important.

    ReplyDelete