Sunday, October 23, 2011

Who's That Girl?

There are two aspects of genealogy that family historians become obsessed with from the start.

Haunting cemeteries and collecting family photographs become part of our DNA.

There is nothing like the thrill of locating the final resting place of our great-great-great grandfather.

Likewise nothing as satisfying as discovering the identity of ancestors in mystery photographs.

That has been the goal with this photograph of my husband's great-grandmother, Rachel Montague Hindsley. For years the woman standing next to Rachel has been a mystery. Is she sister, in-law, cousin or friend?

Hitting the proverbial brick wall I decided to take the advice of a seasoned family researcher.

Over at Honoring our Ancestors website Megan Smolenyak has compiled a list of Best Sites - Orphan Photos. Megan's goal in posting these sites is to "start an epidemic of genealogical kindness" and reunite photographs with families who will care for them.

This morning I finally cast this fish out to the genealogy gods.

Reviewing the list I selected Dead Fred and Ancient Faces. Both are easy to navigate and my photograph uploaded in no time. On Ancient Faces your information appears immediately. Dead Fred has a review process before your data goes live.

I am crossing my fingers, toes and eyes in hopes a Montague ancestor stumbles upon this photograph . With any luck we will find out who's that girl!

1 comment:

  1. Montague? I didn't realize you were researching Montague. Any chance any of those Montagues migrated out west to California? I have an intermarriage in my Bean line in Fresno that I believe was a Montague.

    ReplyDelete