Monday, August 8, 2011

Logging Your Research?

courtesy: Wikipedia
historic image of Logging, Lower Columbia, Oregon, ca. 1905 Attributed: to Oregon Historical Society
Image in the Public Domain

Recently I stumbled across an informative podcast about creating genealogy research logs. The presentation hosted by Grant Brunner, Community Outreach, is on Geni.com. The guest speaker, Thomas MacEntee of GeneaBloggers, discussed using data logs to document research.

Spending several years as the family historian I must admit to neglecting formal tracking. In fact I am a little embarrassed about the method, or lack there of, employed over this time period. There are many pads of paper with random notes in my files.

Spending valuable time searching a record already determined not useful made it very clear how important it is to use a research log.

With suggestions from the presentation I created the following basic form.

How to: Add Excel Files To Blogger from Social @ Blogging Tracker

Several other resources on creating a research log:

Free Genealogy Forms and Charts from genealogysearch.org

Research Logs from familysearch.org

Why Should Research Logs ALWAYS Be Used? by Angela McGhie of Adventures in Genealogy Education

Thanks to Thomas for great advice about tracking research.

Are you a logger?

5 comments:

  1. I found using separate logs for each surname slowed me down. I do a good bit of cluster research and needed more flexibility in the log. I added a column for surname. That way I have one research log, can sort by surname, but don't have to move back and forth between files.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    That is an excellent idea! Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't started yet, but I definitely need to. Thank you for the links - that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've blogged about this as it is something I know I should do for (especially for my ONS) but I don't do.

    I'll have to have a proper look at the sites you've linked to when I have chance (maybe at work tomorrow!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole,

    Glad you enjoyed the post. Wish I had been "logging" since the beginning of my research! Would have saved some valuable time looking at the same records more than once!

    ReplyDelete