Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Soldier's Graves at Washington's Crossing - Tombstone Tuesday


Last summer my husband and I visited Washington's Crossing in Pennsylvania. It was from this location that General George Washington and men of the Continental Army crossed the Delaware River on Christmas night 1776.

One feature of the tour is the soldier's graves located in a shady remote area of the park. Here you will find the graveyard to honor Captain-Lieutenant James Moore and the "unknown" who died during the encampment.



In Memory of Many Unknown Soldiers of the Continental Army
Who Died From Sickness And
Exposure While Encamped In
These Fields Before The
Battle Of Trenton And Where
Buried At This Spot
Christmas Day 1776
Erected By The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania 1929

1 comment:

  1. Deb, I have an ancestor that tradition says died at Valley Forge. So this is very interesting for me. Someday I'll have to visit.

    ReplyDelete