Monday, January 31, 2011

Photographic History of the Civil War - Military Monday


A recent discovery is the ten volume set entitled "Photographic History of the Civil War" edited in 1911 by Francis Trevelyan Miller. Here are several reviews about the collection :

Bauman Rare Books : "The Grandfather of Civil War Histories" : illustrated with over a thousand Brady Photographs.

Civil War News Magazine - June 2010

The entire collection can be located on Google Books. Here are the links to each individual volume :

The Opening Battles, volume one

Two Years of Grim War, volume two

The Decisive Battles, volume three

The Cavalry, volume four

Forts and Artillery, volume five

The navies, volume six

Prisons and Hospitals, volume seven

Soldier Life-Secret Service, volume eight

Poetry and Eloquence of Blue and Gray, volume nine

Armies and Leaders, volume ten

Our family has visited many Civil War battlefields over the years. After viewing these photographs I will never feel the same about the peaceful fields.

4 comments:

  1. Nice discovery Deb!

    I have been using Google Books quite a bit lately and, just recently, found an ancestor mentioned in one of them, in a racial incident of all things. I've been able to find out more about the same incident in several other Google Books, enough to piece together quite a story from it.

    These Civil War volumes are absolutely wonderful and really make you appreciate those early photographers all the more! Thanks for sharing. I've added all ten volumes to my personal Google Library! (Free is better than paying $1000 to nearly $3000 for the set!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this, with this being the 150th anniversary I imagine there will be a lot of interest in this. I can't wait to look at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic!! I'm a huge fan of Google Books and have found a LOT of info on my family there. I can't wait to spend some time with these volumes. I already see that they've included info on Rock Island prison, where my G4grandfather and his brother were held from December 1963 to March 1965. wooHOO!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting these great resources, Deb! I am looking forward to browsing through them to see history surrounding my places of interest.

    ReplyDelete