Thursday, January 20, 2011

Civil War Bible - Treasure Chest Thursday

These photographs are just a few of the "treasures" we received from Dee, our new cousin discovered through Ancestry.

Seeing these inscriptions in a Civil War soldier's bible were the most amazing genealogy moments thus far. Here we have Charles Judd giving an address and father's name. That is where the pieces all fit together, Mathias Judd was my 3rd great grandfather. In the 1860 Baltimore City Directory we have the family residing at 20 Walker Street.

These photographs have linked many different strands together. We now have connected our ancestor with records during the Civil War and ultimately relocating to Sherman, Texas.

Again, I encourage reaching out and connecting! Never know when the simple act of sending an email will result in breaking through a brick wall!

7 comments:

  1. I have goose bumps!!! How exciting for you to have this piece of your history. BRAVO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say goose bumps, but will go for chills. What an extraordinary gift! You must have been dancing for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly a treasure! I'm always breathless when I hold --- or even read on line, those old original documents -- letters, Bibles and diaries. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow is right! What a wonderful thing to get - I have always dreamed of finding my ancestors' family bible. Isn't meeting up with distant relatives on all the social networking sites the best?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda already said what I planned to say: WOW. What a wonderful discovery.

    ReplyDelete