Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sentimental Sunday - At the Movies with Dad

Poster of "Creature From The Black Lagoon" by Reynold Brown, from Wikipedia

You may be thinking a 1950's science fiction movie poster for an entry entitled as "sentimental" somewhat strange. I will explain why this really does pull at the heart strings as much as gives a chuckle.

Several weeks ago I was talking with my husband about my Dad, who we lost this summer after a long battle with cancer. We were joking about how much he enjoyed his movies, especially science fiction, history, and westerns. One of the movies that I remember watching as a child was "Creature From The Black Lagoon." The strangest thing occurred not long after the conversation.

My sleep patterns have been a bit out of sorts with Day Light Savings Time. Have been waking at odd hours of the night and seeing some interesting shows on the television. One day this week during the wee hours of the morning I awoke and there was the Creature! I can't tell you the last time this movie was shown and the coincidence was too priceless to overlook.

Isn't it funny how the most mundane of moments can bring about a world of emotions! Everyone has those little family jokes, or peculiarities that someday become endearing family memories. Miss you Dad.

5 comments:

  1. nice memory. i love it when those "coincidences" happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a loving little remembrance of your dad, Deb. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had one of those moments today - I felt compelled to get back to researching my late father's line, which I had neglected for a while. And when I was entering a source note with date, I realized that today is his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture and post. It's funny how the oddest things can trigger a memory. One of my funniest is watching a creature flick with my mom at midnight. We watched as giant grasshoppers devoured Chicago and it's inhabitants, well into the wee hours of the morning.

    ReplyDelete