Saturday, October 2, 2010

Surname Saturday - Judd

Catherine Fredricka Judd Eck 1858-1915 (third great aunt)

The Judd's have been the elusive line of the family tree. Almost all the information I had to this point was found on the Internet. The name has been listed with several variations being Jud, Judt, and finally Judd.

The picture above was obtained by connecting with a "cousin" on the Ancestry.com message board. One evening I received an email inquiring if we were the Judd family who immigrated to Maryland. After some communication this new friend was kind enough to send many pictures.

Interesting side note about this photograph. When family members saw the picture they were amazed to see how closely my cousin Cathy (very ironic) resembled this ancestor!

The IGI Individual Record (International Genealogical Index) was located on Family Search Pilot for Matthaeus Jud, my third great grandfather.


On the Family Search site was the database for Germany Marriages, 1558-1929. There I found the listing for Matthaus Jud's second marriage. His first spouse was Christine Magdalene Breuning, my third great grandmother. This was a exciting discovery since my great-great grandmother Elizabeth's death certificate had her mother listed as "unknown".

Finally, this Ancestry.com record for Wuerttemberg, Germany Emigration Index supports the census records for immigration to the United States.

Without our new family member I would never have pieced together the Judd line. This is why I have become such an advocate of message boards. Never know who you will meet as you research online. Thank you Vivian!

No comments:

Post a Comment