Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Who's to Blame?

First ever Saturday Night Genealogy Fun!

Randy Seaver over at Genea-musings has posted this week's mission for Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. Read Brenda Joyce Jerome's post Who or What Do You Blame? on the Western Kentucky Genealogy. She asked the following questions :

*Can you identify person or event that started you on this search for family information? Actually both were instrumental in setting me on this path to search out ancestors. My youngest brother Ken had been the keeper of all things historical for many years. Whenever we would have a family gathering he would share an interesting tidbit. Usually I thought "well that is nice" and moved on to current happenings. At the time I had the four children at home and worked full-time, so genealogy just did not fit into the equation.

Fast forward to empty nest, and husband working out of town Monday thru Friday. Suddenly I had time to develop new interests. One night I just happened onto an email that Ancestry was having a trial membership. I signed up with the idea to help Ken, who now was busy with his young family. That is all she wrote!

Shortly after I found myself spending hours online researching. One night I even lost track of time and called my husband after midnight with the news that one of his relatives had been struck by a car then passed away several days later. I was so involved in the story I didn't realize I was phoning so late. His response was "when did he die?", to which I replied "1928". I was greeted with silence on the other end for a few moments when he finally replied "um, that was some time ago, and shouldn't you be asleep?". An obsession was born! Now every possible moment is spent at the archives, in cemeteries, and blogging.

*Did you pick up researching where a relative had left off? Haven't so much as picked up where my brother left off, as built a collaboration. We share in every discovery!

*Did your interest stem from your child's school project on genealogy? Interest did not stem from a child doing genealogy school project. My son-in-law jokes that our grandchildren will be the "overachievers" when the time comes. We have visions of them needing a fork lift to carry in their presentation, and of course Grammy must be in attendance!

So who is to blame? My children for leaving the nest, my husband for leaving me with time during the week, and my brother for sparking the genealogy flame.

Thank you to Randy & Brenda for providing Saturday Night Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment