Saturday, September 25, 2010

Surname Saturday - Searching for Springers (not Jerry)

Not long after I contracted the "genealogy bug" the Springer family name came to light. Of course the usual question is about possible relationship to Jerry Springer. So far no connection, but one never knows.

I had traced the Springer line through Pennsylvania, Maryland, Ohio, and finally to Indiana. There I found my husband's grandmother Emma Josephine Springer on the 1880 census living in Tippecanoe, Indiana. Listed with Emma were her parents Daniel M. & Margaret Todd Springer.

Around that time my husband and I were planning our first big vacation sans children. Naturally we added several cemeteries to our itinerary. If my children are reading this I'm sure they are happy to have missed that particular adventure.

The Indiana Historical Society was very helpful in locating the family cemetery. So of course Indiana was on the list of places to visit. Never thought I would travel hundreds of miles out of the way to visit a family cemetery! From what I understand that is a symptom of that wild and wacky "bug".

Here are a few of the pictures that chronicle our quest to locate Springer family history.

The scenic route.

Car spotted along our travels. Helped me win the license plate game.

Crown Hill Cemetery - Indianapolis, Indiana

John Dillinger 1903-1934
(gravestone has been replaced several times due to vandalism by people chipping off pieces as souvenirs).

Margaret Todd Springer 1835-1888 (husband's great-grandmother)

1 comment:

  1. Of late, I have been photographing and posting the Ohio Historical Markers that I pass daily....good stories.

    ReplyDelete