Sunday, September 12, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Challenge # 37 - Letters

Little late to the party! Just started genealogy blogging when I stumbled on to 52 Weeks to Better Genealogy. So off I go to give it a whirl.

Roots Television : This is a wonderful web site that has the look and feel of a genealogy television channel online. You can watch episodes on various genealogy topics right on your computer. Your challenge this week is quite easy. Watch Roots Television and enjoy. The goal is to continue education through video. Write about one or more of the episodes. What did you learn? Did the video touch on an aspect of your own genealogy research?

I spent almost a hour looking at different episodes available on the program guide. What struck me was the wide array of information covered. No matter if you are a beginner or a more seasoned genealogist you should find this tool very useful.

The episode that caught my attention was "War Letters" by Andrew Carroll. Carroll is a best -selling author and has created the Legacy Project. This project is a volunteer initiative that encourages Americans to seek out and preserve the personal correspondence of our nation’s veterans, active-duty troops, and their loved ones.

As I watched this episode I understood more fully the power of the written word. With the world being so much about email and text messages, what treasures will our ancestors have to connect with our lives. The emotions that came through the letters that Carroll read brought me straight to that time period, giving you an insight into the events as they occur.

So very glad for this challenge. It made me think more in terms of what our generation and the next will leave for our descendants. Turning over ideas on how to start a letter writing campaign with my family!

No comments:

Post a Comment